Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sharing thoughts on “Oprah” with Erica Jong

I have a confession to make: I have read every book written by Kitty Kelley. There I said it. So, of course I bought the book, “Oprah.”

The reason I got the book is because Kelley wrote it. I like her books and I know that every word in each book has been researched, researched and researched again. I admire her tenacity in getting the truth in her biographies.

Although not a lot is new and revealing in this book – the queen of TV has talked about many of her personal experiences on her show – it is interesting to see how she has changed a few things in her stories to make a better story. The same is true in the recent book about Martha Stewart, “Best Friends.” What I’ve learned in these two books about these powerful women is that they have worked extremely hard to get where they are and they have been relentless in their pursuit of huge wealth - no matter what it takes. I admire them for staying focused and on track. I find it also interesting that they have both worked diligently to “collect” famous friends - they are big-time name droppers – and this is what they appear to be quite proud of. But hey, they don’t know the Butterfly Six Plus Two: Darrolyn Fennelly, Hans Smith, Alan Potter, Wade and Kimberly Wooldridge, Karyn Allen and Rick Dale, to name just a few of my fabulous friends.

Let's face it Martha and Oprah have made a wonderful difference in the lives of women and men around the world. For this they should be celebrated. Can you imagine a life without a daily dose of Oprah? I can't!

Erica Jong has written a piece on the “Oprah” book and I want to share it because it’s exactly how I feel about Kelley’s latest book. By the way, years ago I interviewed Jong, author of “Fear of Flying,” and many other books. She is a delightful person, warm and extremely funny. Here’s the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erica-jong/oprah-kitty-and-me_b_536548.html

No comments:

Post a Comment