Sunday, April 18, 2010

We are all one mind

Yesterday at our center the guest speaker was visionary thought leader Jan Phillips. I sat through the worship service wondering why she looked familiar. Where had I met her and why do her words also sound familiar? She gave an inspirational talk that centered on three turning points in her life. She also said that she had just returned home from a trip to Nigeria where she found children begging for someone to teach them. She said she came upon a group of kids playing in the dirt and they said, “Do you have a pencil? Could you teach us?” It made me want to board the next plane to Nigeria and help these children. I’m going to follow Jan’s website and see what we as a community can do to help. Oh, and where did I find that I had met Jan? Well, I discovered after church that she is the author of one of my favorite books, “Marry Your Muse.” I’ve read it often and I use it in my memoir writing class. I said to her with probably too much enthusiasm, “I know you, I have read your book three times.” Then I apologized and said, “Oh, I don’t really know you, sorry.” She graciously said, “You’ve read my book, you know me.” Sweet. She has written several books, recorded CD’s and she offers workshops. http://www.janphillips.com/

This just in: Jan Phillips is collecting children's books to send to villages in Nigeria. So if you want to send some, she writes, "Kim Burnett has volunteered to collect and store the children's books till the container is ready to go to Nigeria. Her address is 10717 Hunters Place, Vienna, VA 22181. Thank you so much for your generous response! - Jan"

No comments:

Post a Comment